Friday, September 17, 2010

Live ScreenCast Solution

So I (sort of) successfully used UStream to broadcast a lecture for my Internet Programming class last night. After realizing (again) that the Ustream Producer standalone audio doesn't work (at least for me and a few others ), I switched to recording through the browser and that created a stream that my students were able to see, and I was even able to screencast by using CamTwist, and I was subsequently able to download. Woot!

Unfortunately the resolution was such that the students were only able to read the largest of my powerpoint fonts, and it wasn't really practical to see any of the code examples. Fortunately I had cunningly distributed my slides in advance, so the students were just using the ustream screencast to know where to look in the slides, and for synced audio. Somewhat ridiculously the Ustream comments were only available in the live stream, not in the broadcast window, and I didn't want to have the live stream window open, although I guess I could have muted it, but I worried about my browser crashing. Anyhow, we ended up using Skype for chat and backup audio, but that means that the chat is not synced with the recording, which is a shame for those who were not present.

Anyway, I would really like to broadcast in slightly higher definition, and it seems I could pay ~$200 for UStream Producer Pro, but I am worried that the audio will not work, as in the free version of Producer, and that I won't even get a sufficient boost in resolution from the point of view of the students.

So what I would really like to know is if anyone has managed to successfully live screencast from OSX with a resolution sufficient for handling code examples. Either in UStream or some other solution ...

3 comments:

Robert Brewer said...

I assume Googling "live screencast Mac OS X" wasn't helpful?

Sam Joseph said...

that's where I got a few of the links in the blog post. It seems like UStream Producer Pro "might" meet my needs, but I'd love to be able to check with someone who has used it successfully in HD before committing the $200 ...

Sam Joseph said...

Think I might have found a free solution with LiveStream procaster, let's see ...

http://www.livestream.com/hpucsci3632internetprogramming/video?clipId=pla_f8b2ddc3-b45c-43ce-b3f8-e2edb0fca210